Monday, July 15, 2024

Lego Technic ORMFTmk3 - 15/07/2024

Transforming the Lego Technic Off Road Multifunction Truck MK3: A Customization Journey

Lego Technic has long been a favourite among enthusiasts for their complexity and the endless possibilities they offer for customization. The Off Road Multifunction Truck MK3 (ORMFTmk3) is no exception. As a dedicated Lego builder, I've taken on the challenge of enhancing this already impressive c model, to fit my needs better. Here's a look at the modifications I've made so far and some plans for future improvements.

New Wheels and Tyres
One of the first modifications I made to the ORMFTmk3 was upgrading the wheels and tyres. The original wheels were good, but I wanted something that could handle more rugged terrain and give the truck a more aggressive look. After some research, I found a set of more robust tyres that fit perfectly with the existing wheel hubs. These new tyres not only improve the truck's off-road capabilities but also enhance its overall aesthetic.

Extended Rear Chassis
To provide more space for future attachments and to improve the truck's balance, I decided to extend the rear chassis. This modification involved adding several new parts to lengthen the frame and reinforce it to ensure stability. The extended chassis allows for better weight distribution, which is crucial when carrying heavy loads or attaching new equipment.

Improved A-Pillars
The A-pillars on the original model were a bit flimsy and prone to bending under pressure. To address this, I reinforced the A-pillars with additional Technic beams and connectors. This modification has significantly increased the structural integrity of the cab, making it more durable during heavy use.

Modifications to Rear Tray Tilting
One of the most functional aspects of the ORMFTmk3 is its tilting rear tray. However, I noticed that the mechanism could be smoother and more efficient. I reworked the tilting mechanism by replacing some of the parts and adding additional supports to the tray. These changes have resulted in a smoother tilting action and improved reliability when dumping loads.

Future Plans
While these modifications have already made a noticeable difference, I have lots of plans for further improvements. Here are a few ideas I'm currently exploring:

Modular Attachments: Designing a series of interchangeable attachments for various tasks, such as a crane, winch, and different types of cargo beds.
Electronic Upgrades: Incorporating motors and remote-control capabilities for more dynamic functionality.
Improved Body Style and Looks: The front end I feel could do with some improvements, I have noticed that it does fall off at times.

The decision to use the ORMFTmk3 as the base for these modifications was driven by its better scale and compatibility compared to the older truck I was using. The older model presented too many issues with sizing and fitting the attachments I had in mind. The MK3's design provides a more suitable foundation for the complex modifications and improvements I want to achieve.

Conclusion
The Lego Technic Off Road Multifunction Truck MK3 is an excellent starting point for anyone interested in customizing and enhancing their Lego models. With the modifications I've made so far, the truck is better equipped to handle a variety of tasks and terrains. 

The journey of modifying the ORMFTmk3 has been incredibly rewarding, and I look forward to sharing more updates as I continue to refine and enhance this versatile vehicle. If you're considering taking on a similar project, I encourage you to dive in and see where your creativity takes you. Happy building!








No comments:

Post a Comment